Thursday, May 12, 2016

Adventure 2: Evelyn Schiffler Park

Adventure 2: Evelyn Schiffler Memorial Park


It was just me tonight, since my riding partner is working a closing shift. I decided to follow my physical therapist's advice (notice my sweet KT tape featured above?) and keep it lowkey, so I headed over to the neighborhood park. Being the history nerd I am I wanted to know who is/was Evelyn Schiffler, and why did she have a park named after her? 

After some intense googling, I found out that Evelyn Schiffler Memorial Park was formed around 1976, from land that was donated to parks & rec by the Schifflers and other property owners. It's had multiple updates, with a particularly big facelift in 2013 thanks to a bond measure. The park is around ten acres and has a skatepark, picnic areas, a pavilion, play structures, basketball courts. My favorite part is a 2 acre wetland with a boardwalk running through it. I also discovered at the exterior of the park, there is a space for community gardening.




Sadly, the internet didn't provide me any information on who Evelyn Schiffler was, so I think my next trip will be the library.


No comments:

Post a Comment